IBM Watson is turning tables at every executive’s office these days.
- Healthcare – It is being heavily used in healthcare to identify different disease treatments and create better population health programs across different patient segments.
- Finance – It has been leveraged in financial world to capture frauds and compliance projects.
- Education – Watson is becoming heavily popular in education after one of the professors at MIT built a chatbot using Watson for students to answer their questions when the professor or TA are not available.
The latest buzz of Watson is around movie creation. Watson helped a big studio 20th Century Fox to come up with movie trailer MORGAN. Morgan is AI suspense thriller movie. The studio has used Watson to analyze the movie and come up with the trailer.
Method – The studio and IBM’s machine learning and machine vision scientists leveraged WATSON APIs and machine learning techniques to analyze 100+ horror movie trailers and 100+ thriller movie trailers to come up with the trailer. This exercise involved detailed analytics of
1. Emotions of actors
2. Sound effects
4. music (background music etc)
5. picture (pictures taken at each key frame of video)
6. scene (snippets of movie)
After the analysis, Watson came up with 10 scenes/moments which should be part of the trailer and possible sequence of these scenes. Human supervision was needed to review the scenes and sequence them properly.
1. Time and cost saving – This exercise took Watson few hours. On a general note, trailers are created by creative agencies and can take upto few days.
2. Better chances of success – This trailer has also a higher probability of being a HIT attached to it based on the past trailers data and analysis of this data. And it might be able to appeal more audiences with its pre-analyzed scenes.
The bigger question is Is AI (Artificial Intelligence) mature enough to not only understand but create art?
Here is the much talked about trailer –